In like a lion...

My 2017 work year ended with a ton of unpaid overtime and frustration, and I'm still not sure that it won't be like that until March; plus other nerve-wracking work things are happening. So I'm just sort of beside myself right now.

In the last three weeks of December I did almost no stitching due to all of the overtime, so even my stitching is stressing me out - I keep looking at my WIPs and feeling like they (similar to the work project from hell) will NEVER get done, and I just want to cry.

I'm hoping that 2018 is coming in like a lion so that it can go out like a lamb, to borrow March's cliche.

The positive: the stress/exhaustion of work last month left me able to do nothing in the evenings but read. Granted, I had about a half hour of free time at the most on any given day, but I did rediscover some good light mystery fiction. I caught up on the second-to-last entry in the Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen, and decided to start a re-read of Dorothy Sayers' Peter Wimsey mysteries. I'd actually listened to the first three Wimsey books on audio-book in October through December, so I was primed.

I had the last week of December off of work, and by...oh gosh, probably Thursday, my brain had settled down enough, and I'd caught up enough on housework, that I did get some stitching done. I'm close to a finish on Holmsey Hare's Winter Wonderland:
So far the need for OT hasn't kicked in, and I'm hoping I can get it done by the weekend. Next I'll focus on finishing parts 5 & 6 of the Faby Reilly Lizzie Stitching Wallet.

The only concern I have is keeping up with the Smalls SAL. Depending on my stress levels, I may give that up until I get some more WIPs out of the way. IDK.

Also on my mind stitching-wise: there will be one more limited edition Mouse-in-a-House design set released this month. I haven't even finished the Christmas house, and I'm a bit tired, currently, of those designs. And the thought of buying another pattern right now when my stash is so huge gives me angst. But I have a feeling that if I don't buy the pattern when it's released, I'll want it later to complete the set, and then won't be able to find it.

Ugh. Decisions are hard.

Comments

Carol said…
I'm so sorry to read about all of your overtime, Amy! Especially unpaid--grrr!!! You must be so frustrated with the lack of stitching time, but I'm glad you've rediscovered some nice fiction to relax with...

Your stitching looks so pretty on that fabric--I look forward to seeing it finished up :)
Katie said…
I think Dec about killed a lot of people. Sorry to read it hit you too. I hope your stress eases very quickly and then you can relax and enjoy your stitching again. I've sure seen a lot of pattern become hard to find. I would say get it since it's a part of a set you already own.
I really like your Holmsey piece and the fabric you are stitching it on. Sorry to hear about the overtime and it just doesn't seem right that it is unpaid. Since you already have the others, I would say go ahead and get the Mouse in a House set.
Julie said…
Your Holmsey is coming along beautifully.
Hope Jan is a much calmer month for you.