Long-term WIP finish

Back in late 2014, I thought I would try to revive my cross stitch hobby, and purchased a Mill Hill kit from a stitch shop. The kit included perforated paper; I didn't think I'd like the look of the finished product on that, so I also bought a matching 28 count fabric.

I started the kit the following spring, and then stalled. As I got closer to finishing the stitching, I started dreading the beading. So it ended up in a drawer for a while.

But, after starting so many things for Stitch Maynia this year, I suddenly feel like I need to finish some things, and this one had been silently guilt-tripping me from its drawer for 2 years so into rotation it went.

And...*drumroll*...I finished it on Tuesday! I was going to take my time with it, but I hated the beading so much that I decided to just push through and finish it so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. :D
"Spring Robin" by Mill Hill.

I don't know why I found the beading so aggravating. But now that I have had a couple of days to get over my aggravation, I can admit that the beads really do make it pretty. My favorites are the shimmery beads on the eggs and edges of the flower petals. And I love how the glint of light on the dark gray eye bead makes it look almost realistic.

I am definitely glad I stitched it on fabric. Perforated paper works great for things that are ultimately cut out (so you don't actually see much of the paper) but I don't think I would have liked having a big perforated paper border around the stitched area here.

SO pleased to have this one done.

Comments

Justine said…
That's really pretty! It must feel so good to have it out of the way.
What a fabulous finish! I like it on the fabric you used. Enjoy your weekend!
Carol said…
I'm so glad you pushed through and finished this one, Amy, as it is so sweet. I love everything about it!!