Skip to main content

Better

Thank you to those who commented on my previous post. You are lovely. I will reply today!

Onward to a better week, yes?

I set aside a big block of time yesterday evening for stitching and relaxing, rather than doing housework (guilt-free, because I cut the grass and did a couple loads of laundry right after work). It was great. Self-care is a good thing.

I was not in the mood for Halloween, and I'm a bit cranky about how messy my over-1 stitches are on the first bird of the Just Nan Spring House (first time doing over 1 on 32 count - I should have waited til I had better light). So I started next month's Smalls SAL project. I picked a pattern from the new Just Cross Stitch magazine:
I'm doing the 4-square pattern, but in brighter colors. It's probably going to look more like "Hello Summer" when it's done.

I have decided to do the May starts challenge on the Stitch Maynia Facebook group - 15 starts in the first 15 days of May. I've been making myself stick to my two WIPs, with breaks only for the Smalls SAL projects; but I think a bit of manic start-crazy-ness will feel great right now.  

I picked things I have all or most of the supplies for. The benefit is that in the future, when I want to pick up a new project but am not feeling up to doing all of the pre-work (picking out a pattern/fabric/threads, finding the center & putting in the first stitch - the hard stuff, right?) I will be able to just grab something out of my bin of Maynia starts and stitch away.

My selection:
Row 1:
June Bugs by Pine Mountain Designs; Butterflies Biscornu by Seba Designs; 'August' from Summer and Winter by Prairie Schooler; Jolly Jack by All Through the Night; Where Did I Put My Broom by Dark Crosses

Row 2:
'September' from Spring and Fall by Prairie Schooler; square design from Pumpkin Potpourri by Scissor Tail Designs; Holmesy Hare Winter Wonderland by Stitchers Anon; Winter Awwwwwe by Needle Bling Designs; Not a Creature Was Stirring by Lizzie Kate

Row 3:
Very Merry Winter by JBW Designs; Unstoppable by Daily Cross Stitch; Four de Lys by Ink Circles; ornament from Where there are Bees by Prairie Schooler; Feathers 'n Fins by Tempting Tangles

Another benefit of this: several patterns are ones I've had for a couple of years, so now I won't have to feel guilty about leaving them languish unstarted.

Comments

  1. So glad you set aside some time just for yourself, Amy! Everyone needs that from time to time :)

    I just notice those cute JCS charts in the magazine at work yesterday--really think I'll stitch them both (or at least one of them) very soon. I think I need to follow your lead and kit up some things to have at the ready. Being a one-at-a-time stitcher is getting harder for me as there are times when I just don't feel like working on my current project so no stitching gets done. Perhaps if I had a variety to choose from I wouldn't have that problem!

    Enjoy your evening--and I hope this weekend proves relaxing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on taking some guilt-free time for yourself, Amy! You have picked some super projects for the May starts. I look forward to seeing your small 4 square piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice you'll have once you start those lovely designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Self-care is so important! I really think stitching stops me from going mad sometimes.

    Good luck with Stitch Maynia, you've made some lovely choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

November Smalls SAL post

My November small for the Smalls SAL, run by Heather of Stitching Lotus:
This is from a kit that came with an issue of Cross Stitch Crazy magazine. It will be finished into an ornament using the little felt frame that came with the kit. There are supposed to be little stars/snowflakes, but this fabric about drove me nuts with how hard it was to stitch on, so I left them off.

I'm also keeping up with the Beautiful Sea Quaker SAL, with tiny part 4 finished last weekend:

And I stitched Season of Love by Stitchers Anon:
She has an Etsy shop with TONS of adorable PDF designs, but she's closing the shop at the end of the year so if you like her stuff, now is the time to buy. :(

Lastly, even though this isn't stitching, I wanted to show the Christmas wreath I made:
It's a foam wreath wrapped with a color-blocked yarn. I made the felt flowers, added a couple cute berry picks and some jingle bells, and got the bow at Michaels. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

January Smalls SAL post

My first small for the 2017 Smalls SAL run by Heather of Stitching Lotus. It's a Lizzie Kate Tiny Tidings called Snow Bird. There are meant to be blue beads in the centers of the snowflakes, but I subbed blue stitches. Stitched on 32 count  linen in "Wren" by PTP (I think).



I had intended to have one or two other smalls done by now, but for some reason, I thought it would be a great idea to start a project on January 2 for a friend whose birthday is February 3. I've had to put everything else aside to work on it. I still have 1/4 of it left to do, and only a week to do it. :( I really like it, and it's going to be cute when it's done, but ack.

It is reminding me of why I stopped enjoying stitching years ago - I was stitching large-ish things, and often they were for people and therefore needed to be done by some date (which ultimately slid and slid and slid, and then I felt guilty about it), and I got so sick of whatever I was stitching on that it stopped bei…

A Post

I finished this last night. "Holly Tree" by Scissor Tail Designs, stitched on 32 count "Wren" (by PTP maybe?), with Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe "Autumn Ivy," Romy's Creations "Red Passion," and DMC 502.

And I'm keeping up with the Beautiful Sea Quaker SAL; first 3 parts done.