WIPs and stitchery art

I made progress on Happy Halloween over the past week:
This one is taking a bit longer than it would if I wasn't being so fussy about it. It's stitched on 28 count linen; to get around the coverage issue I always have when stitching 2 over 2 on 28 count, I'm using the railroading technique that I heard about...like three weeks ago. It works great, but it's slower going than usual.

I also got over my mental block against the Joyful World 'March' design and finally made progress on it:
Initially I didn't really care for the design, so I didn't want to work on it. The main issue I think I was having was that it all seemed un-March-ish? There was a simplicity of design and color to the first two months' designs, which seemed appropriate for the months, and then all of a sudden there's this explosion of color and motifs in March. Not that violets flower in February around here as they do in the February design; but...still.

I finally decided to go ahead and make some changes to my liking. The only one that's really obvious here is that I've changed the color of the little chick to be closer to a heron chick, which is to say, not yellow. :P  I will also tweak the flowers/colors a bit.

Lastly, something I spotted while on a business trip in February: a pretty cross-stitched wall hanging! It was in the conference hall of the Coronado Springs Resort in Orlando, FL. No information about it was provided, but I thought it was lovely.


Comments

gracie said…
Love the stitching
Unknown said…
So of course I had to google the Railroad technique, and i can understand why it would help with the stitches, but my goodness, does it take a lot of time. Looking forward to the seeing your March with your changes. Halloween is coming along nicely and that is a great picture of a great stitched design
Kaisievic said…
Gorgeous stitching, I have tried the railroad technique but it is too fiddly for me. Good luck with your March design and thanks for sharing that gorgeous piece from the conference.
Katie said…
If you stick with railroading you will get faster. At least I did. Now I don't even notice to do it. I just love the Halloween piece. Good luck with the March piece. Oh the wall hanging is beautiful. A lot of work!
Carol said…
Railroading does take longer, but the end result is worth it! I almost always stitch with one thread (either over two on 40 ct. or over one on 28 ct.) because it is so much faster than trying to use two threads and make them look nice...

Your pieces both look great and I'm glad you're changing the colors for the chick. I know what you mean--for people in the north, the March design looked more like a May one :) But, it is still very cute!
Irene said…
anch'io sto ricamando qualcosa per Halloween, lo adoro. Bellissimi i tuoi ricami e il SAL รจ favoloso
Anonymous said…
Beautiful stitching!!
Super progress on your Halloween piece, Amy! Glad you were able to figure out something to get over your block on the March block.