And a plan for stitching big(ger) projects in 2016

I finally got the fabric and first set of threads for the Snowflower Diaries Joyful World SAL, and started on it last night. I also came to a decision. I'm going to go ahead and use the Gentle Arts threads for the project.

This means 2 things:

1. I won't be able to keep up with monthly completions, because I have to order the threads, and I'll need to know at least a couple of months worth of threads before it will be worth ordering them. I feel like I'm probably not keep the spirit of a SAL, but without a complete threadlist upfront, I have to wait until I've got enough to order to make the cost of shipping worth it.

2. Those threads are stupid-expensive, so the rest of my stitching this year will use either fabric/specialty thread I have already, or DMC floss/inexpensive fabric that I can get from Michaels/Joanns/Hobby Lobby.

That helped me decide what I am going to work on this year, though, so yay! Besides the smalls I already have planned for the Smalls SAL (which I had already planned to do per #2 above), my next bigger projects, after I finish Tall Oaks, and until I'm in the mood to get back to the Crossed Wing Collection snowmen, will be:

I'll be doing the group of 4 sheep. I got the fabric for this last spring, but got stalled immediately because the cross stitch shop gave me the wrong count linen. Instead of being 18 count floba, it's a larger count - maybe 14, or 12? I don't know for sure. But thanks to all of the stitchy people on blogger, I've now heard of over-one stitching on linen, so I'm going to do that; I'm pretty sure the design will fit the fabric that way. And it's all DMC thread, w00t.

And then while I'm basking in the glow of having completed both Tall Oaks AND Woolen Sheep in one year, and feeling like I can totally commit to a truly major project, I'll start this one:
Angel of Light - Lavender and Lace
I also have the fabric for this. Rather than the shade of brown the model is stitched on, I've got a nice, moody gray. I'm really excited about that, actually. I think it will look great; the whites and the rich colors will really pop. It's all DMC, plus some gold thread which I either have, or have something close to.

I'm also trying to set shorter-term goals. So my January goals:
  • finish something for the Smalls SAL
  • finish the reboot of Bless This Home - Mos Eisley Edition (this is my take-to-work project)
  • finish the tree, leaves, and critters in the tree on Tall Oaks
  • stitch the border and white bits on the Joyful World SAL 'January' pattern

Comments

Julie said…
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment, it's always nice to welcome new visitors.
Your new sheep design does look a fun project.
Deb said…
Sounds like a good plan. I use a lot DMC Varieations threads. They are cheaper than some of the others. And get a good result. If you have a Hobby Lobby around they have their Arteste brand that is pretty.
Katie said…
Good luck with your plans!