Well, a finish.

So, over the weekend I finished Beautiful Sea Quaker by Ship's Manor:
It's kind of pretty, but...do you ever spend a lot of time on something and there are frustrations throughout the whole process and then you FINALLY finish and it's like...meh?

The fabric:
- It's an evenweave, very polyester-y, and SO STRETCHY. I did not enjoy using it.
- The lavender thread color barely shows up, which means you can barely see the octopus, which is my favorite part of the whole thing.

The threads:
- Midway through the SAL it was discovered that one skein of dark blue would not be enough. And of course the new skeins dyed darker, so I had to fuss with how I stitched the border so that it wouldn't be too obvious.

The pattern:
- Guys, I don't even really care for ocean / seaside designs. Why did I decide to stitch this???? I mean, I do have a couple of other ocean-themed patterns but there are specific things about them that I like (one is "Oh Whale" which I find really funny plus it was easy to swap out the anchor for something else; the other has a bunch of seabirds, which...birds! I love birds!; and the third is "Feathers n Fins" which has, again, lots and lots of birds!). I think I got excited by the pretty thread colors and also was suffering from lack of willpower or something. *facepalm*

I'm sure part of my problem is that there are real life things going on that have me a little bit down. I should just set the finish aside and come back to it later and decide if I really do like it or not. I wish I knew someone who would love it; if I could gift it I would feel less bummed.

Comments

Oh my...I think it looks beautiful, but I'm sorry you had such a hard time with it! I do have the same pattern (and the floss set), so thanks for the heads up so I can try and work around that 'not enough dark blue' issue from the beginning.
Julie said…
The colours are very pretty. A lovely finish.
I hope life settles down for you and becomes brighter.
Katie said…
Congrats on the finish. Yes I've had the same thing happen. Just not into the piece as much as you started. It's a beautiful piece though. Hopefully you'll fall back into love with it sometime and finish it into something. It would make a neat decorative pillow type finish. Hope things settle down for you soon.
Kay said…
I really like the colours. I too have had the experience of making something and then thinking, it's alright but was it worth the money/time/effort etc. I recently finished a Lizzie Kate, I still like the design and the hand dyed fabric I used is beautiful but I suppose I am just no longer in love with it. x
Faith... said…
Yes I think that has happened to many of us. I must commend you on finishing it though. I usually let it lay in the box untouched forever until I toss it. Maybe once you feel better about whatever is happening around you then you may like it more or think of someone who may like it as a gift? It is great stitching!