2018 review; 2019 WIPs & planned starts

 2018 in (very brief) review

I didn't stitch nearly as many things this year as in the previous couple of years, but I didn't do too badly. And I finished a couple of bigger WIPs, which was exciting! Here's a link to my 2018 finishes.

Current WIPs

Pics of my WIPs at the start of 2019; I've highlighted blue the ones I think I could finish in the first six months of the year, and yellow the ones I want to finish by the end of the year.

1. The Bunnies by Bent Creek
This will be done this month.

2. Buzzing Bee by Mill Hill
I'm really glad that Mill Hill includes the DMC numbers of the kit threads, because evidently there are supposed to be three shades of yellow/gold in this kit but either the colors are so close that I can only make out two, or else I'm missing a color...

3. Butterflies Biscornu by Seba Designs (2017 Stitch Maynia start)
I decided to do a kind of monochrome-ish thing with this, but I'm not feeling my color choices anymore. Oh well.

4. Beautiful Sea Quaker SAL by Ship's Manor
I would probably enjoy stitching this more if the fabric (an evenweave) wasn't so annoyingly stretchy.

5. Feathers n Fins by Tempting Tangles (2017 Stitch Maynia start)
Stitching this is incredibly difficult. I just can't 'see' 40 count fabric without magnification and strong light. The light isn't a problem, but I haven't found a magnification solution that works well for me. The result is very slow stitching and occasional tension headaches. :(

6. Mysterious Halloween Town by Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I waffle about the cutesy-ness of it.

7. Christmas Mouse in a House (house) by Just Nan
I really like stitching these, but I have two houses that I've stitched but never finished. Since I'm avoiding finishing the others, I'm feeling less enthusiastic about stitching something else I'll just avoid finishing. If that makes sense. I need to just sit down and get the other ones FFO'd.

8. Whimsical Advent Calendar by Primitive Hare
I've been sort of tentatively thinking about stitching one or two of these a month. We'll see.

9. Scandinavian Christmas towel from Just Cross Stitch magazine
I avoided working on this last year because...well, what do you do with stitched towels? I would be afraid to use them, but I don't really have anywhere that I can display them.

10. Frosty Feast by Crossed Wing Collection
I keep forgetting how adorable this is.


11. Bleeding Heart Pixie by Nora Corbett
Gosh, I love this.

12. Enchanted Alphabet by Lavender and Lace
This is one of my oldest patterns, though I only started it a couple of years ago. I set it aside because the dress was taking FOREVER, but I can see myself picking it back up again this year, even if just for a little while.

13. Mermaids Azure & Verde (to be stitched together on the same fabric) by Mirabilia
I started this a couple of years ago and then never did anything with it, so it can probably only barely be called a WIP. And mermaids aren't even really my thing. But they're so pretty! And I love the fabric. I might pick this back up for a little while this year, too.

Planned starts

Gift starts

I plan to start two new things ASAP, to be finished as Christmas gifts:

Nutty Christmas by Mani di Donna (for my sister)

Wildflower wreath from "The Cross Stitch Garden" by Kazuko Aoki (for my mom)

Stitch Maynia

And now that I'm whittling away my WIPs, I am tempted to do Stitch Maynia this year. I have a feeling my personal rhythm is going to be Start All The Things!!! one year and then OMG Too Many WIPs Argh the next year, rinse, repeat.

At any rate, below are the possible starts for Stitch Maynia this year. Qualifications for being on the list are that I already have fabric and have all or a significant majority of the required threads in my stash. (I left off the column labels in my screen grab, oops. The third column is fabric, fourth is threads, fifth is my own categorization.)
Click to enlarge

I know I wouldn't be able to get them all started, but I wanted to have a list ready of what I *could* start.

I also plan to schedule a few days during Maynia where I work on remaining WIPs instead of starting something new.

Happy 2019!

Comments

Katie said…
Good luck with all your goals in 2019!
Kay said…
You are going to be very busy, I hope you get to do it all. I love the Sea Quaker design. x
Faith... said…
I love your Bunny and Butterflies! Good luck with your plans! Your Stitch Mania list is pretty long!!
Justine said…
I love this kind of post! You had some gorgeous finishes last year. I'm aiming to reduce my WIPs too this year, I think it's something in the air...
Julie said…
Good luck with your plans. lots of lovely things to be working on this year.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of all these fun things you have planned for the year :)