Stitching and stash

Last year for Stitch Maynia I started "September" from Prairie Schooler's Spring and Fall pamphlet. I picked different colors for the squirrel (browns instead of grays) but as I kept stitching I decided I didn't like the colors. So I frogged it all and went back to the grays.

Then when I got to the leaves, the charted 'orange' color was decidedly brown (DMC 434), so I frogged the brown I had stitched and swapped it for an actual orange (DMC 921). I'm not entirely satisfied but I am also NOT frogging ANYMORE unless I make a horrible mistake and have to.
I hope this squirrel appreciates all of the trouble I'm going through to stitch him!

This past weekend in St. Charles, MO was the Needlework Galleria. I went on Saturday to shop. I had a list of threads I want for future projects. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them all - the only vendor selling WDW, GA, and CC threads was out of a few by the time I got there. But I did get a bunch!

I also got a cute pair of embroidery scissors:
Plus some 36 ct linen (PTP Regency - I was trying to get PTP Legacy, but the vendor's handwriting is very squiggly and we both thought it said Legacy at a glance. Closer inspection in better light at home showed me we were wrong. But it's a nice fabric and it will work for the project I bought it for), and (of course) a couple of new patterns:
The patterns are French Country Snowflake and Giving Thanks by JBW Designs, Garden Thyme by Nikyscreations (if I hadn't run out of budget I would also have bought some of her lovely fabric!), and A Nutty Christmas (with the nutcracker button) by Mani di Donna.

The nutcracker design will be for my sister for Christmas (she has a nutcracker collection), and Garden Thyme will be for my mom for whatever gift-giving event occurs after I get it finished...

Just realized I never posted the finished Halloween Cat! Not FFO'd yet, but the designer had a cute hoop finish I might copy.

In other news, autumn is finally creeping in! Saturday was absolutely lovely - in the 50s F in the morning, only 71*F in the late afternoon. We're still having 80+* days, but there is a definitely down-turn in temperatures. I love it! Autumn is my favorite time of the year.

The only bad news is that I have to get a new furnace, and will be getting a new A/C unit as well. Both appliances are 26 years old, which is REALLY old for an HVAC system; and I've known for years that it was only a matter of time before they needed to be replaced. But still, it's a heck of an expense. Ah, the joys of home ownership!

Comments

Julie said…
Halloween cat is lovely, love his purple socks.
Katie said…
The squirrel looks adorable. Sorry it's giving your a lot of problems. Looks worth it though so far. Great new purchases and love your Halloween finish. Here in Indiana (right now Pennsylvania on vacation) the weather has finally cooled down too. About time. Good luck finding a good deal on your new furnace.
Carol said…
Your gray squirrel is looking so cute as is the Halloween cat. Sorry about the new furnace--I think ours is about ready to be replaced, too. Sometimes I think renting sounds like a pretty darn good idea :)
Great work on the squirrel and cat! I prefer autumn over summer as well.