July Smalls SAL

(Posting a day early so that I don't forget...) My July finish for Stitching Lotus's Smalls SAL:
I finished the two-owl block in the upper right corner.

I'm starting to think that I might only stitch the 9 blocks in this design, and not the words. For reference, here's what the full design looks like:
My problem is that I don't love the content of the text. I really like the way the text looks, but "frolic in the foliage" isn't really....me, I guess. Ever since I started stitching the design I've been trying to decide what to do about the words at the top. Leave them off? Use only the second line? But aesthetically, I feel like the two lines are needed to balance the text along the bottom.

One thought I had was to edit the top section to read

BENEATH THE
AUTUMN SUN

and then add some little motifs around it, like on the bottom. But that would require making decisions and recharting things, and my brain is not sure it's up to it lately. 

What do you all think? Leave off the text? Or rechart the top text section?

Comments

Carol said…
I like your idea, Amy! I'm not a frolic in the foliage type either :) You can do it!! Lovely stitching on this autumn piece :)
Hi,the verse would still make sense if you started at the top with the "leaves are falling beneath the autumn sun" and the bottom lines could say, "pumpkins, gourds and apples, the harvest has begun." I also don't like "frolic in the foliage" so I would delete all together. I look forward to seeing it finished. Good luck and happy stitching!
Meari said…
You're almost there!
Pamela said…
I like this fall piece. I would leave off the frolic line and stitch the rest as charted.
Elfie said…
It's a lovely piece. The nine little blocks are pretty alone. I like Mother of Mayhem's suggestion if you do choose to keep some of the message.
Your latest block looks great. What if you changed frolic to stroll or walk or wander?
Mary said…
Very pretty block.
Lovely progress - the owls are cute and I love the colours of this design! Personally, I like the text (as in, the way the whole thing looks with the text to balance it) and it shouldn't be too difficult to change it to something you like, lots of good suggestions here already :)
Katie said…
Congrats on the block finish. Good luck deciding what to do with the words.
Mary's Thread said…
It's a cute piece! You already have lots of good suggestions for changing the words so I hope something will fit for you and you can make it your own!
Justine said…
What a sweet stitch! I do think the text adds something to the design but as I'm not a frolicker either I would have to change it!