Updates

Stitching:
I was out of town for work for two weeks, and somehow managed to finish a thing during that time:
The pattern is by Dark Crosses on Etsy. I started it in 2017 for Stitch Maynia; stitched on 32 count white linen with Thread Gatherer Silk n Colors "Smoke Stack," which is a variegated black/brown.

Hopefully work will finally be easing up now and I'll be able to do more stitching again.

Fur-babies:
My dog, the one that went suddenly blind a month ago, has been to see the vet optometrist, and the blindness is permanent. It's a condition called SARD - sudden acquired retinal degeneration. There's no treatment for it, partly because no one really knows what causes it.

So, we're adapting. I got home from my long work trip on Friday, and spent part of Saturday doing a little bit of blind-dog-proofing around the house. Non-skid strips on the wooden steps that go up to the second floor of the house; a non-slip rug at the bottom off the steps; temporary (until I create a permanent solution) fencing along the porch to keep him from getting his tie-out wrapped around the porch posts/help him find his way to the door; foam corner protectors on the coffee table. I also cut a pool noodle to wrap around an exposed part of the metal frame of the couch, which looks really attractive (not) but at least now when Chuck runs into it, he won't hurt himself.

And I'm going to get him some new toys. I've read that the ones that hold treats are good, because he can find them by scent and they give him something to do. Evidently there are also noisy balls that make noise as they sail through the air and roll along the ground.

I'm also making sure the foster dog doesn't feel neglected! He's so good and patient. We have lots of cuddle time, and squeeze in play time when Cranky Blind Dog isn't around to try to steal the toys. :D

Life:
After two weeks on business travel, I'm trying to remember how to plan meals and grocery shop and clean my own living space again. (The only good thing about living out of a hotel on someone else's dime: free meals and housekeeping.)

Yesterday, my son and I went into the city (i.e., to one of the outlying areas of St. Louis) for breakfast. There's a used book store I wanted to check out, and Yelp told me there was a good breakfast spot nearby. It's called The Living Room, it was pretty small, with a little indoor seating plus some outdoor seating, but boy was it popular. We got there just in time to snag a spot to sit and get our order in, and five minutes later there was a line out the door of people ordering food. The food was very good. A different menu than you usually find, but that's part of what made it good.
A pic from their Instagram account, livingroomstl, since I forgot to take any

The only not-good thing was the coffee - waaaaaaaaaay too strong and bitter. I used it as an excuse to talk my son into walking down a few blocks to a cat cafe! I knew about it from Facebook, and was wanting to see what it was like.
Again, a pic borrow from Instagram. I'm a bad blogger, I don't think to take photos.
The cafe is called Mauhaus. We both got lattes and went in to see the kitties. What you can't see in the pic above (that I again borrowed from Instagram) is that there are shelves and walkways built up along a couple of walls and across the room just below the ceiling, plus some of the benches are hollow, for the cats to hang out in. It was awesome.

My son is a really good sport. He said he didn't mind going to the cat cafe. "It was a nice walk, and anyway, whenever you're going to hang out with a bunch of cute animals, you know that's probably gonna make you happy." :D

Comments

Julie said…
Nice finish.
Grant plans you have for helping your disabled furry friend
Katie said…
Great finish. Congrats on getting it finished up even though you were busy. Yes that's my favorite part of traveling too. I would much rather pick from a menu then decide what I want to cook haha. I'm sorry your sweet furbaby will have this problem but sounds like he has the right mom to take care of the possible problems. I'm thankful he has you. I know so many people just abandon dogs when they aren't convenient any more. Breaks my heart.
Congratulations on your finish! I am sorry your dog's eye condition is permanent. But it sounds like you are creating a safe environment for him. Give him a scratch for me!
Lovely finish...I do feel you about the work travel. I realized I no longer like staying in hotels on vacation since they just remind me of work so much!
I'm sorry about your furbaby...going suddenly blind without any reason is a really scary thought. I'm glad you're taking good care of him.
The food at that breakfast place looks delicious, and wow, a cat cafe! I didn't know they had those outside of Japan. And then wish a German-ish name...what a fun combination, I'd love to go there.