Happy Valentine's Day, Lizzie Kate, & a piece of American history

You know, I never really paid attention to Valentine's Day until I got back into stitching. Now I'm all "oh look at all the adorable heart patterns!"

My wee collection of heart stitches, to wish you a Happy Heart Day:




*****
So sad to hear that Lizzie Kate is retiring. It's wonderful for her, but sad for stitchers. I still have a couple of her first patterns, purchased when I started stitching in the '90s. I haven't decided yet if I'll join the flurry to purchase last-chance patterns. There are several that I really like, but that's true of a lot of designers. I should probably just enjoy stitching the ones I have.

Lizzie Kates I have stitched so far (not many, gosh):




I started one of the older patterns for Stitch Maynia last year; I think I'll make that a finish goal this year, in honor.

*****

So the other day when I was walking my dogs, I spotted a roughly two-inch diameter round metal disk in the middle of the road. It was gross and corroded, but my inner magpie took over and I picked it up and dropped it in my pocket. I tried soaking it in a vinegar solution, thinking the issue was rust, but very little of the crud came off.

However, enough came off that I could see that I had found a 1795 American Liberty dollar.

!!!!!

It's in horrible condition, and after a smidge more cleaning (with baking soda, which is supposed to clean silver) I'm pretty sure that the face on the front is completely worn off and would be impossible to make out even if I could get it clean.

But yeah, I found a 200+ year old coin, minted when my country's first president was still in office, in the middle of the street. Weird. (I know 200 years is nothing to most of the rest of the world, but for a young Republic, it's nearly ancient history.)

Here's what it looks like. The link below the photos shows what it would look like if it wasn't a hot mess.

Comments

Kay said…
I have just come across your blog today for the first time. it is lovely to find a new blog to follow, especially one that likes very much the sam skin of stitching that I do. x
Julie said…
What a great find, how exciting.
Lovely selection of hearts you've stitched.
Katie said…
Beautiful heart finishes. My favorite is the Love ones you did. Gorgeous. Wow what a find.
What lovely heart finishes you have created with needle and thread! I enjoyed seeing your LK finishes. What a cool find!
Carol said…
How cool that you found that old coin--wow!! And i love your beautiful stitching, Amy--especially the hearts. I think this is the first year in a long time that I haven't stitched anything for Valentine's Day.