First finish of 2018

Holmsey Hare's Winter Wonderland by Stitchers Anon is finished:
This is stitched on Chesapeake Bay 32 count linen by Under the Sea Fabrics, mostly with the charted colors. This was a Stitch Maynia 2017 start, so yay, I knocked out another one of them.

I made a lot of changes.
  • Firstly, there were a couple of errors in the chart - one of the green sprigs in the upper left corner was charted slightly wrong, so I fixed that. And then, the snowflake border on the right started with the same snowflake as the top border ends with, instead of the opposite flake; and the bottom border had the same style snowflake for flake #5 & #6. So I frogged most of the right side border to fix that, and adjusted the bottom border. This way, the snowflake border has an every-other-snowflake pattern all around. (If that makes sense.)
  • Then, for part three, I wanted the snow to appear in drifts similar to part one, so I altered the horizon line. 
  • I swapped out 834 (a brassy gold) for 739 for the hedgehog's face/feet and 746 for the hare's chest/tail.
  • I felt like the two little trees under the donkey's chin looked crowded then, so I changed the style of them. 
  • I also wanted the bird to be a dark-eyed junco - my favorite local winter bird - instead of another European robin. 
  • The right-most tree in part three looked a bit odd, so I fussed with that. 
  • Then, probably because of the junco, the colors in part three seemed too muted compared to the colors in the other parts, so I added some holly berries to the center tree and had the junco collecting them on its tree stump.
  • And THEN I felt like the yellow star in part one looked out of place, being the only big bright yellow spot in the whole pattern, so I frogged it and stitched a snowflake in its place. I liked how that balanced out the color palette overall; and I like that the animals in part one are now looking up at the snowfall, rather than at the star - makes it feel more wintry rather than Christmasy to me.
Phew.

There are also some stitcher errors that I just left because I didn't mind them.

I'm going to take care of my small for this month, and then work on finishing parts five & six of Faby Reilly's Lizzie Stitching Wallet SAL. That is, if overtime doesn't kick in this week. Fingers crossed.

Comments

Katie said…
This piece is just too cute. You sure made it yours. How fun to know yours is a one of kind.
Justine said…
A great finish! I love the fabric. Thanks for the heads up about the errors too.
Carol said…
How wonderful to star this new year with a BIG finish, Amy--it is darling :) Your little junco is so sweet!
Amy, congratulations on your finish! What a fun piece!